Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What A Difference A Day Makes

So, the day I assumed was coming has finally arrived. The S&P finally broke through the 1500 level fairly significantly on heavy volume and finished at 1475. This is significant because it marks a lower high and a lower low which could be the start of a downtrend and reversal but it is too early to know if that is the case.

I don't want to seem like I am flip flopping here or that I predicted it(I just looked at the chart), in fact it is almost strange. It's like the market doesn't think at all until the news happens, it doesn't exist until some company comes out with bad earnings or talks about write downs like GM or Morgan Stanley. It is very odd to me, maybe that is why trying to make predictions doesn't really matter because the market is simply functioning on current news and can change on an instant.

Anyways, enough speculating. Today was a down day for me, I gave back all the gains I made the previous day. I day traded GOOG to make a whopping 60 dollars(however it was good I exited on the break of trend otherwise I'd have lost a shit load, this is why we have a plan and watch the charts before taking a trade.) This put me in a tough spot because I didn't have any settled cash to get into more bearish of a position as it looked like we weren't going to rally.

So, I sold off some of my positions that were very close to my lines and had already lost me a decent amount of money anyways but not doing much, I sold my YUM and AKAM positions. I took these proceeds and bought 15 Dec 145 SPY puts as some insurance as we broke down again at the end of the day. This makes me balanced with 3 put plays and 3 call plays. However, I am now firmly biased to the down side with a -686 delta. I think this will be decent for a bit, we'll likely head down to 1450 in my opinion. If we don't stop there the next stop is the 1425 area.

Another trade I had was in my ROTH account, I bought AAPL however it then broke down below 190 which was my line, and I exited, which ended up being good as well because it broke even further and fell even more after hours. Again, more evidence why we make a plan and stick to it.

So I am flat over all after adding those new positions but I feel decently confident going into tomorrow with my current stance. The futures are down and the SPY fell further after hours so it's looking ugly for tomorrow if you are long, but so far my other long positions have not broken my lines. I will have some cash tomorrow to either add to my bearish stance or maybe take a day trade if it gets real bad tomorrow.

Hopefully everyone is setup ok for tomorrow, we'll see if I can make some money or at least be flat.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Ben,

It is strange to me also. Maybe they are trying to hold off the bears. It just doesn't make sense that they can't see the financials are just getting rocked with major losses, er, sorry "write downs".

Anyway, the only company I am in is Manitowoc in my IRA. Sold out of Hansen earlier in week.Should have been done between 66-68, but nothing I can do about that now.

I have a question for you:

How do you know when an option is cheap or expensive? I can figure out a stock is expensive or not..but pricing an option confuses me. Well, I just don't know how to price an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Unknown said...

Why does Bernanke speak? Talks about housing being a problem..Really? Funny how when this was going on he said it is good for the economy...then rates were raised..Oh wait-not a problem!!! Let's call a housing bottom 4 or 5 different times!! Outstanding!! Way to be on top of it!!

Really, is this something that people didn't realize or had the forsight to see?

Dan

Krystal said...

Dan, I'm looking through some online articles on option pricing, but I don't know if I'll see any specifically tailored to your question.

Tell me, did you come across anything in your reading of options about the two components of option pricing? (Intrinsic Value + Time Value = Option Premium?)...

Unknown said...

I have read a little on how options are priced. I read a brief part of Najaran's book and he said, "When we found an option was mispriced and cheap we loaded up on it." Of course he never went into how to figure out if it is mispriced and cheap.

Maybe I am not realizing something or mixing stuff up..

Dan

Krystal said...

Dan, I'll keep looking for some articles. I've gotta put my kids down for their nap, but I'll be back later with some info for you...

:)

Krystal said...

This is a start.

http://www.optionaddict.net/archives/2007/
9/20/option-pricing.html

More info later...

Unknown said...

Krystal,

Thanks! I will definatly start there.

Appreciate it!
Dan

Krystal said...

Dan,

Uh oh. I think that might be all I can get to you for now. The other information cannot be copied and pasted or emailed because it is proprietary (I guess).

I can tell you, though, that option premiums are inflating right before our eyes because the volatility index, the Vix ($VIX), is climbing. Volatility is a component of option pricing. You need volatility because you need a stock that moves (your option is a race against time, after all, right? :)). But when fear in the market is high and volatility (the ability of stocks to MOVE) is high, so are option premiums. There's a good chance that I'll be going mostly to cash in the next few days...

I don't know if I just helped you or confused you...

((((sigh))))

Unknown said...

I don't think that confused me. I might have to do more research on volatility.

Can a person price options based on the historical volatility of a stock? If the volatility is low in a stock then the options are priced low, correct? Then they would not be expensive,right?

So much to learn....

Krystal, thank you for the help.

Dan

Ben said...

Dan, You have the right idea and Krystal gave you some good info.

In general, when the vix goes up which is the measure of volatility on the S&P 500, that generally increases all option prices across the board making them more expensive.

Generally, what Jeff says and what I will look at is what the average implied volatility will be on an option.

For example, lets say AAPL, the general average implied volatility over the past 6 months has been 40% and the options I am buying are at 60%, it is safe to say they are "overpriced" vs. the general average. However, that doesn't mean I won't necessarily buy them, I may go more ITM so there is less sensitivity to IV decay. Generally you won't see hugely overpriced options except right before earnings where it can be double or triple the average.

That is probably a general and more simple way to do it without going into all the various things used to price options.

Hopefully that helps some.

Ben

Unknown said...

Ben,

Yes, that helps. And between Krystal and you I believe I have a clear picture on that!!

Dan

Krystal said...

Dan, just remember the formula I put out there earlier: Intrinsic Value + Time Value = Option Premium.

Volatility is a component of Time Value.

Think of this way: when you get your car serviced you pay for parts and labor. When you buy an option, you pay for Intrinsic Value and Time Value... all rolled up in one.

Those are the two components of your option. In an effort to not confuse you further, see if you can find anything about Intrinsic Value and Time Value in your reading. Then we'll have a part two of this discussion.

Stay tuned...