Friday, April 25, 2008

First Week Back Ends

So my first real week back trading actively has come to a close. So far I am pleased with the results, being up 15% overall for the week. The bad thing about that is that I could be up even more had I not been stupid with my GOOG trade. Although I am kind of back into the swing of things now and have the proper mind set.

Today was another interesting one, watched the account fluctuate and end up basically flat from yesterday. Apple was down to 166.xx at one point and I considered buying but did not. I partially wish I had but I didn't want to add another bullish play without anything bearish. However, I did pick up some China exposure via ACH. I bought 5 contracts of the August 50 calls. There was a better entry point at one time during the day however I think it finished slightly up from where I got in, so I am flat on those options right now. There is overhead resistance at 50 but I think if china starts moving again it will break that and head for the next level at 60, which is my target.

GS continued higher, finishing at 192, I am nearing my target. I was considering getting out but I only have 2 contracts, there may be a pull back but we did break 1390 on the S&P finally. I figured since I am so close I should see my target through and pick up those extra profits. The whole point of planning a trade is to trade that plan.

The Q's are still profitable but not as much as they were, but again the trend seems higher so it would not be logical for me to get out at this point. So I am holding for my target until I see otherwise. we didn't move like I was hoping this week.

This was a majority of the earnings this week, its lighter next week but could send stocks higher. We did not get above the 1400 level on the S&P but it was good to see the broader market making a move on its own even with MSFT weighing things down.

I would like to get back into Apple but is it really worth it for possibly 5 points of upside short term? There isn't much that would push it up besides short covering or upgrades. Big news is not likely until at least June, although 3g iphone rumors could come out in May and push it. I think there could be some better plays out there as much as I love Apple. I need to get some bearish plays, the tough thing is that everything seems to be so beaten down, I'd like to find a higher priced stock starting to show a reversal and get on board if possible. It's just a matter of finding it.

I hope I can diversify more and continue with profitability or at least flat trading for next week(and obviously in the long run).

No comments: