Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Positive Progress

Sorry about the lack of updates(not that anyone reads this). It's been a busy week for me for school and work. While I was away, my account decided to increase in value, which is ideal. Yesterday which was mostly a down day, I actually gained 3%, mostly thanks to V.

I actually sold V today when it was close to 90, assuming we may take a breather after this fantastic run. It may end up like my AAPL where it just keeps going, but oh well. Never hurts to take a profit and I can always get back in if the trend is still strong or find something better altogether. I also exited my WFR postion, I broke even on that trade, which is sort of disappointing seeing as how I was up 1k at one point. But I gave it the opportunity to go back down and it seems to be showing strength and breaking the down trend so I decided to cut it loose. If I can keep selling for profits and breaking even on losers that's ideal, however it will not be very likely to happen that often.

I decided to buy the dip in FXI, although I am slightly concerned about the fact that it gapped down so much. But, it is close to some support so I have managed risk and will exit if needed. I also decided to buy the dip in BIDU, it was resting at diagonal support so I decided to buy a call and will exit if the trend is broken.

I bought some DRYS, after it broke out monday. I like obviously the break out and the fact that it is an old favorite of the stock market. I have no evidence to support this but a well known name could benefit from extra people piling in assuming past performance, which makes me more money. :-)

I am now up about 24%. Not too bad in 2.5 weeks. The most exciting part about it is I am sticking to my rules and not taking excessive risk and I am still getting nice returns. I bought this dip today on some stocks, I need some bearish plays though since my one put play is done. Not sure why the sell off today in the market, could be that we stay in a range until we get more data but I hope we see some buying into the close to set things up for tomorrow. In writing that, I realize I am too biased to one side because even though I try to pick stocks that are strong even on down days, or weak on up days(for puts) I should not care what the indices do. I am thinking of getting long the dollar since it seems like there is much more upside potential than downside and it will be good diversification.

No comments: